*UPDATED 28-02-18 * It has been quite widely publicised that Handy Cross roundabout is having weekend closures whilst essential roadworks are conducted. Originally this was planned for 3 consecutive weekends, but the anticipated bad weather from the 2nd March has caused that weekend to be postponed until weekend of the weekend of Friday 16th March (9pm Friday to 5am Monday 19th)
Full junction closure over 3 weekends from 16th Feb
Highways England will be carrying out resurfacing on the roundabout 9pm Friday until 5am Monday morning on the following weekends:
- Friday 16th February – Monday 19th February
- Friday 23rd February – Monday 26th February
- Friday 16th March – Monday 19th March (Postponed from 2nd – 5th)
Works will take place all weekend, including overnight. Only the junction will be closed – the actual M40 will flow through unaffected.
Approaching roads also closed
Approach roads leading to the junction will also be closed:
- Wycombe Road from Ragmans Lane
- A4010 John Hall Way from Crest Road
- Marlow Road from Cressex roundabout
- A404 Marlow Hill from Waitrose/Park and Ride
Transport for Buckinghamshire (TfB) will be collaborating with Highways England to make use of the road closures on the approach roads, and carry out maintenance works such as small scale resurfacing, gully clearing, sign cleaning, and street lighting repairs.
Diversions and disruption
Various signed diversions will be in place, primarily using the M40 junctions 3 and 5, the A40, Wooburn Green and Little Marlow. You can download diversion maps here.
Emergency services will have access through the closure, as will TfB gritters should they need to get through to salt the roads.
While these are not TfB works, they are preparing for the disruption and have placed an embargo on any other non-essential road works in a 10 mile radius of the M40 works. Additional traffic management will also be used on diversion routes, particularly the smaller roads less well equipped to deal with heavy traffic.
Why is the work needed?
Highways England is carrying out the resurfacing to ensure the junction remains in a safe condition. The existing road surface will be dug out and fully resurfaced, the traffic signals and detection loops will be replaced, and anti-skid material will be laid at selected areas of the roundabout.
Impact on bus and coach routes
National Express will not be serving the Handy Cross Coachway during the closure and Marlow specific bus routes will be affected:
- Arriva services 800, 850 and Carousel Buses X80: High Wycombe – Marlow – Henley – Reading: These buses will need to divert between High Wycombe and central Marlow and will be subject to delay. Buses will NOT serve Wiltshire Road, Little Marlow Road or Chapel Street within Marlow during the closure. In Marlow the nearest served stops towards High Wycombe are on Oxford Road and Queen’s Road, and towards Henley will be on Dean Street or West Street.
Details can be found on the bus service disruption page on the county council website.
Need more detail?
If you have any questions you can contact Highways England on 0300 123 5000 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. TfB have set up a webpage with FAQs about the closure, bus information, and diversion information and maps. Visit www.buckscc.gov.uk/