The MyMarlow Events Calendar – our comprehensive list of events coming up in Marlow.
VE Day 77th Anniversary Lunch
May 8 at 11:00 am - 6:30 pm£85
Commemorate VE Day with us.
Brimming with history, Danesfield House was once home to the Intelligence Section of the RAF, known as RAF Medmenham. The unit specialized in photographic intelligence and was the ‘eyes’ to Bletchley Park’s ‘ears’. Come and join this very special memorable day!
• Three-course set lunch with a glass of wine
• Tea and coffee throughtout the day
• Talks from leading authors of wartime stories, RAF personnel, war veterans, and many more very knowledgeable people!
• Authors will be around the hotel during the day for book sales and signings (please bring cash for book sales as authors will be selling their own books)
• Tours of Danesfield House by Peter Faarup, Danesfield’s own private historian
• Museum and exhibition of the photographic interpretation unit kindly donated by The Medmenham Association and Bletchley Park
• Purchase a copy (£5) of the last printed booklet ‘Evidence in Camera’ – a special edition publication produced by RAF Medmenham in 1945 to commemorate the end of the war (Limited copies available)
1. Elinor Florence, author of the best-selling wartime novel ‘Bird’s Eye View’, which tells the compelling story of a young woman working for Allied Intelligence as a photo interpreter here at historic Danesfield House, formerly RAF Medmenham.
2. Michael Smith, author of ‘The Secrets of Station X’: How the Bletchley Park codebreakers helped win the war-The astonishing story of how the British codebreakers of Bletchley Park cracked the Nazi Enigma cyphers.
3. Taylor Downing, author of ‘Spies in the Sky’ – The story of the daring reconnaissance pilots who took aerial photographs over Occupied Europe during the most dangerous days of the war and of interpreters who invented a completely new science to analyse those pictures!
4. Helen Fry, bestselling historian of a number of books on WW2 intelligence and spies, including The Walls Have Ears – a clandestine bugging operation that worked alongside Danesfield House in the war. She is a trustee of the Medmenham Collection & an ambassador for the National Centre for Military Intelligence.
5. Talk from volunteer, Bernie Knill at Hughenden Manor, where the raiding pilot’s maps were drawn up
6. Talk from volunteers Mark Lubienski (Bletchley Park) and Colonel David E King OBE (RAF Medmenham) – Lecture ”From Room 40 to Bletchley Park.’ Discover how brilliant people from all walks of life came together as a unique group of code-breakers
7. Talk from Karl Thomson, retired RAF Officer and specialist in photographic intelligence
8. Talk from Paul Stewart MBE, Chairman of the RAF Medmenham Association
9. Talk from Wg Cdr (ret’d) Neil Tomlin, Area Director, S.England & S.Wales – The RAF Benevolent Fund – Supporting the RAF family for 100 years
• £85 per person
Terms and conditions:
* The full itinerary of the day is being completed, we will have this available closer to the date. The daytime event will commence from 11am to include talks and Q&A sessions. A Reception will be held in the Grand Hall, at 12.30pm followed by lunch at 1pm in the Versailles Suite. The day’s events will continue in the afternoon in the Grand Hall and finish at 6pm. This event is only available for guests and overnight guests on the VE Day event package, no entry will be permitted to external guests.
* Full pre-payment required at the time of booking.
* Limited availability
Reservations: email@example.com or call 01628 891010