A mixed week for Marlow sides as Marlow FC solidifies their play-off pedigree while Marlow Hockey fall to a strong Oxford OBU side, and Marlow Rugby Club look ahead to a pivotal match this weekend against Buckingham.
Marlow FC bounced back from their disappointing result at Chipstead last weekend as they thumped play-off rivals Cheshunt 4-0 Tuesday.
Kelvin Bossman scored a hat-trick, with Devontae Romeo grabbing the other in the midweek mauling.
Marlow boss Mark Bartley wanted a response, and it only took two minutes for his side to produce – Bossman scoring from the spot. Romeo doubled the Blues lead after 18 minutes and from their Marlow took control. Bossman completed his hat-trick in the second half with two well taken goals.
Marlow take on bottom of the table Egham Town on Saturday.
Marlow United missed the chance to cut the gap on second placed Woodcote Stoke Row as both sides drew blanks in the 0-0 draw last Saturday.
The Flying Blues could have won it late on, but Chris Hurst could only fire his last-minute spot kick off the upright.
United remain in third position, with games in hand over those above them.
United were also in cup action, losing 2-0 to Wantage Town.
The men’s first team traveled to Oxford hoping to achieve three back to back wins – their opponents Oxford OBU sat third in the table heading into Saturday’s game.
One to one Marlow suffered two yellow cards in a matter of minutes which made things difficult for them in a tight game.
The game ended 3-2 to Oxford, with the Marlow goals coming from Dan Strange and Lewis Goodman.
The men’s two’s won 2-0 against Wycombe, dominated proceedings and could have added to their lead but missed some clear-cut chances – goals from Harvey Fraser and Fergus Anderson.
- Men’s 3s lost 2-4 to South Berks 2s (Ben Swales x2)
- Men’s 4s won 2-0 West Hampsted 6s (Fin Anderson and Caleb Roe)
- Men 5 drew 2-2 Newbury & Thatcham (Phil Allen and George Evans)
- Men’s 6 won 6-0 against Sonning6 (Ethan Hunter x3, Tim Frost, Toby Arnold, Will Peacock)
- Strollers (veterans) lost 1-2 against Camberley in Southern Conference Western Division Playoff.
Both 4s and 5s are back to the top of their respective leagues
Ladies 1s had two league matches to play. The second on Sunday was due to a match being called off by snow.
They won both 1-0 v Woking 1s away and v Trojans 2s at home (Jane Smith scored in both matches)
s see them in second place and their promotion hopes very much alive.
- Ladies 2s won 3-0 v South Berks 1s (Emily Miskell, Millie Thomlinson, Lesley Hobley)
- NO match for Ladies 3s
- Ladies 4s won 4-1 v Oxford 5s (Sarah Perks x 2, Tash Archer, Amelie Fitzpatrick)
- Ladies 5s won 2-1 v Henley 3s (Tash Moakes, Kitty Moss)
On Sunday several of the Junior teams were in action mainly in league matches. Their results were: –
- U18 boys drew 3-3 with Havant
- U14 Girls won 2-0 v Wimbledon
- U14 Girls B won 2-0 v Reading
- U14 Girls C won 3-1 v Reading
- U14 Boys lost 10-1 v Bromley
- U14 Boys B won 3-0 v Indian Gymkhana
- U16 Girls lost 3-2 v Reading
- U16 Boys won 3-2 v Oxford Hawks (EH Cup)
- U12 Girls won 9-1 v Wallingford
Marlow Rugby Club fell narrowly to Sherbourne 25-20 in the cup last Saturday.
Vanavassa Bai and George Jafari (2) were the try scorers for Marlow, while Nick Carvey added a conversion and a penalty.
Attention now turns back to the league for Marlow as they face a crunch match against second placed Buckingham. A win for Marlow would take them above Buckingham and see their perfect 2019 league form continue.