Marlow Sports Roundup 11-3-2020

| |

Welcome to this week’s MyMarlow Sports Roundup! Marlow FC were beaten in dramatic fashion by two injury time goals, Marlow Rugby continue their winning run with a bonus point win against Chesham and Marlow Hockey faced a tough weekend of fixtures.

If you are interested in watching any of the teams we mention then get down to: Pound Lane for Marlow Hockey, Riverwoods for Marlow Rugby and Oak tree road for Marlow F.C.

If you have any sports stories you want to share, match results, feel your club should be included or know of someone who deserves a mention in the roundup next week, email me:


Marlow Men’s teams

Marlow Hockey club logo

The Men’s first team drew 4-4 at home with OMT. It was a close game with regard to the score but Marlow had so much of the play throughout and had only themselves to blame for failing to achieve a win.

In the first half, OMT had four attacks from which they scored three goals while Marlow managed to reply through Sam North. The second half saw Marlow still pressing hard and scoring further goals through Ben Ferguson, Lewis Goodman and Matt Bilsland to go ahead 4-3 with only a few minutes left. OMT were not done however and scored an equaliser. Marlow were left regretting the defensive lapses that cost them all three points. Marlow remain third in the league but lost ground on Amersham & Chalfont in second.

The 2nd team played at Wallingford against their 1st X1. Marlow conceded a soft goal after 15 minutes. After that Marlow dominated but could not convert chances into goals. Will Hunter was solid in goal and Chris Jackson played well in central midfield. Ollie Cadinouche had a good game, giving their left back a torrid afternoon. But ultimately the Wallingford centre back and keeper showed why they have the tightest defence in the league. The 1-0 scoreline did not change the teams league positions.

Other Men’s results: –

  • 3rd team lost 4-2 away to Abingdon 1sts,
  • 5th team beat West Hampstead 3s away 4-3
  • 6th team beat Wooton Wanderers 2s home 4-3
  • The Strollers (veterans) drew 2-2 at with Teddington Vets

Marlow Ladies’ teams

Marlow 1st team welcomed Maidenhead to Pound lane knowing that the match would be difficult as Maidenhead have had a great run or form in recent games. Maidenhead started strongly from the whistle and scored first. Marlow came back into the game and had some good chances but were unable to score. Maidenhead doubled their lead in the second half but Marlow kept fighting and Ellie Yeomans got one back. On the day Maidenhead were too strong for Marlow and the final score was 2-1 to Maidenhead.

Other Ladies’ results: –

  • The 2s played Henley 2nds away winning 2-1 to stay 3rd in the Trysports Premier league
  • The 3s lost 3-2 away to Oxford Hawks 4s
  • The 4s beat Banbury 2 at home 1-0
  • The 5s beat Windsor 2 at home 1-0
  • The 6s beat Wycombe 6 at home 3-0 and have a 14 point lead in their league and are already going to be promoted

Marlow Junior Hockey

U16 boys and girls were competing in the England Hockey Regional finals on Sunday with a prize of National Finals for winners in a pool of 4 teams. The boys travelled to Canterbury where they lost their first match 3-1 to Winchester, then drew 0-0 with Canterbury (the eventual winners) and lost 2-1 to Southgate.  The girls hosted their event and had wins of 6-0 against Hertford and 3-0 against Spencer.  The final match against Harleston Magpies was a 2-2 draw, but they had also won both matches and had the same goal difference.  The winner was decided on penalty strokes which Marlow narrowly lost in sudden death; such a cruel way for a super talented bunch to exit a competition.  

In the Junior County Cup Finals, the U10 boys were Bucks Runners up and U10 girls were Bucks County Champions.  The reverse fortune for the U12 age group with the girls being runners up and the boys Bucks County Champions.  All 4 teams will represent Marlow in regional finals in April.

Other junior scores in the EH Cups for their category: –

  • U14 Girls A won 3-0 against Wallingford 
  • U16 Girls B won 7-0 against Wycombe
  • U14 Boys A lost 8-3 against Old Loughtonians
  • U14 Girls B lost 2-1 against Wycombe


Marlow Men’s 1st XV

Marlow had been on an impressive winning streak and were looking to add Chesham to the list. This week it saw the return of Captain Hugo Jafari from Injury and a full-strength pack ready to welcome the Stags to Riverwoods.

From the kick off Marlow made their intent and game plan clear. With the wind in their favour they insisted the game was played in Chesham’s half and from the first few minutes the pressure began with some strong ball carries from Chris Clarke, Ben Smith and Toby Yate. It forced a defensive penalty in a dangerous position which allowed Marlow free ball. After a series of pick and go’s Bruno Renucci spotted some space on the blindside and trundled his way over for Marlow’s first try in the first 5 minutes. 5-0.

From the restart Marlow resumed their game plan and within seconds were playing rugby in Chesham’s half again. Pressure came in the form of some strong defensive tackles from Ian Thompson and Ryan McGealy which forced mistakes from Chesham. Marlow were awarded a penalty in front of the posts which was converted by Hugo Jafari. 8-0.

Whilst Marlow began to build momentum, basic errors crept in around the breakdown giving Chesham a platform to play in the opposition half. However, after multiple phases the Marlow defence could not be broken down and eventually the Chesham right wing was forced into touch by outside centre Sam Hindley. Marlow resumed order from the resultant lineout and with some strong patterns of play worked their way into the Chesham’s 22. The dominant Marlow pack took ownership and hit the Stags with some big carries up to the 5 metre line. With Chesham flooding the breakdown, Hugo Jafari saw space on the left wing and called for quick ball from scrum half Jack Rider which was delivered and a quick pass to George Flowers left him with a comfortable 1 on 1 to score Marlow’s second in the corner. Unfortunately the conversion was missed. 13-0.

Marlow played the next 10 minutes in Chesham’s 22 but again the error count was costly as territory was not converted into points. As the first half was drew to a close, Chesham desperately tried to clear their line, but the kick into the wind narrowly missed touch and debutant full back Dean Whitely found himself with the ball and with space to run. He made a half break which was then followed up by a superb run by Alex Spicer. Chesham scrambled back to reorganise its defence leaving an opportunity wide. Slick passing along the line led to Marlow’s 3rd try of the afternoon with Ryan McGealy diving over to score in the corner! Marlow ended the first half 18-0.

As the second half begun, Marlow knew the errors had to stop and with the wind against them, ball in hand was the priority. Chesham, utilising the wind, applied sustained pressure and were first to register on the scoreboard with some tidy forward play they went over near the posts. This was converted 18-7.

Marlow controlled the game for the next 10 minutes with strong ball carries and well-rehearsed patterns of play in the knowledge that kicking wasn’t an option. Unfortunately Chesham were still in range and an infringement from the hosts gave the Stags an easily converted penalty. 18-10.

Whilst the score-line seemed close, Marlow still remained very much in control and with dominant carries from the pack, kept play on the front foot. Marlow started to play more expansive play which pulled Chesham’s defence wide and presented a gap for fly half Hugo Jafari to break through galloping to the halfway line where he linked with George Flowers to take play into Chesham’s 22. After a series of defensive plays, Marlow found themselves with an attacking scrum in the middle of the pitch on Chesham,s 10 metre line. A well worked moved saw Marlow go blind and with quick hands from Jack Rider and Hugo Jafari, Sam Hindley was released in space to sail past the covering defenders to score the bonus point try for the Riverwoods Men. 23-10.

As the game drew to an end Marlow were camped on their own try line. Despite some ferocious defence, Chesham managed to find the gap and score in the corner. The conversion was missed, denying the visitors a losing bonus point and leaving them with nothing to show from yet another close score.  Final Whistle. 23-15.

Despite Marlow not having their usual back line the team unity was strong and they always looked in control of the game. They now look forward to re writing the wrongs against Didcot in 2 weeks-time.


Marlow FC

Marlow FC logo

Marlow FC suffered a defeat at the hands of Chipstead on Saturday through 2 injury time goals from the visitors. Marlow led early on after scoring a penalty in the 18th minute, scored by Chris Ovenden, but in the 90th minute Chipstead were able to equalise and within a couple of minutes, were award a penalty which they promptly scored giving them a 2-1 victory.

Article author: MyMarlow Admin

Previous article

New Fruit Trees for Seymour Park

Farewell to an iconic Marlow tree

Next article