Enjoy a snowy Christmas scene with Mary Berry at Marlow’s fabulous Switch on and Shop event
A large part of this evening is of course the High St closure from 5pm, with shops and businesses staying open. Plenty will be offering special promotions and Christmassy stuff, here’s a few for example:
- BONNERS & BABBINGTONS: From 5pm, outside their premises on Anglers Court: Mulled wine, mince pies and cookies for the kids!
- SADDLE SAFARI: Open late, and dispensing beer and nibbles and the odd fondent fancy in honour of Mary!
- ZACS FITNESS – balloons, mince pies PLUS one night only offer – a free class for any new person who comes to see them and books during the late night opening (class has to be used next week).
- THE PERCH: has pottery paining, and festive far including mulled wine/prosecco for £1.50 a glass
- COPAS TURKEYS: Running a fun treasure hunt, win your xmas turkey! https://www.facebook.com/CopasTraditionalTurkeys/
UPDATE 22-11-16: Lots of people are asking us for the timings for the Switch On on Thursday 24th Nov… which was all detailed in this article published 4th November! But here’s the gist:
4.45-5.30 Mary is signing books in the Marlow Bookshop (all tickets gone)
5.00 – High Street closed
5.30 – snow machines start
5.45 – choirs start
The actual switch on is scheduled to be between 6.45 and 7.00
7.30 – High Street reopens to traffic
Snow is guaranteed at Marlow’s Switch on and Shop event on November 24th this year, thanks to two snow machines at either end of the High Street. The snow will begin to fall from 5.30 pm as the town starts its Christmas countdown in style with a visit from national treasure and British Bake Off star Mary Berry. To add to the authentic Christmas scene, there will be carols and songs from the Marlow Choral Society, Sir William Borlase’s Grammar School Gospel Choir and the Tapestry Choir.
Mary will climb to the top of a double-decker bus outside The Chequers pub in the High Street to turn on Marlow’s popular Christmas lights display, illuminating the town with twinkling Christmas trees and garlands of fairy lights.
Shops will open late, and there will be special promotions, offers and Christmas displays throughout the town. Marlow FM will also be there to keep the Christmas spirit going.
Switch on and Shop starts at 5.30, and the High Street will be closed from 5.00-7.30 for the switch-on ceremony. The actual switching on is scheduled to be between 6.45 and 7.00.