Marlow Sports 5-11-2020

| |

Potentially the last week of MyMarlow sports updates from the Marlow sides for a while, plus additional lockdown information for hockey and football.

Lockdown information

HOCKEY – England Hockey has confirmed that the national lockdown announced on Saturday will mean no club or community hockey from 5 November until after 4 December at the earliest.

FOOTBALL – As a result of the UK Government’s new national COVID-19 restrictions and the publication of bespoke guidance from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport [DCMS], the impact on ‘non elite’ football in England will include the suspension of the following during this period:

• All fixtures and training for Steps 3-6 of the National League System [NLS];
• All fixtures and training for Tiers 3-7 of the Women’s Football Pyramid [WFP];
• All fixtures and training for the Regional NLS Feeder Leagues;
• All fixtures and training for The Barclays FA WSL Academy League;
• All fixtures and training for FA Girls Regional Talent Clubs;
• All fixtures and training for indoor and outdoor youth and adult grassroots football.

In addition, the UK Government has confirmed that all Emirates FA Cup First Round fixtures will go ahead as planned this weekend between Friday 6 and Monday 9 November 2020 and all ten ‘non-elite’ clubs that remain in the competition will be able to train together and play their fixtures under ‘elite’ protocols.


Marlow Men’s teams

The Men’s 1st team dropped points for the first time this season in a ding dong battle that finished all square at 4 all at Pound Lane against Oxford Hawks 2s. They entered the game at the top of the league, three points ahead of Hawks and knew they were in for a rough ride. Hawks opened the scoring within the first minute thanks to a fine deflection, but Marlow settled and gradually found their rhythm, scoring two goals in a 7 minute spell thanks to George Evans & Callum White. 

Marlow were in the ascendancy heading into the break, but Hawks were strong on the counter and bagged two goals in 5 minutes to lead 3-2 at half time. It got worse for the league leaders, as within 5 mins of the restart Hawks extended their lead to 4-2 and from there on it was always going to be an uphill battle for them to get the 3 points. 
Character shone through and thanks to some brave defending and patient defensive passing Marlow got their rewards. Lewis Goodman scored with a brilliant turn and strike on 53 minutes and White bagged his second to level at 4-4 on 58 minutes. Marlow continued to push for a winner and despite dominating the majority of the second half just couldn’t convert. A point each was a fair result, for the neutrals. Hawks were by far the better team in the first half and Marlow the better team in the second. Despite being keenly contested the game was notable for the fact that the umpires had to issue no cards. 

The Men’s 2nd team had an early start at Sonning but unfortunately hockey proved difficult for both teams with the match played in heavy rain. The teams were level until the last minute when Sonning scored to make the final score 3-2. Marlow’s goalscorers were Dan Field and Mav Girn.  

Other Men’s results: –

  • The 3s beat Reading5 away 4-0 and remain unbeaten and top of their league, Goalscorers were George Atkins, Trevor Jackson, Tristan Rints, and Robin Walls. 
  • The 4s beat Leighton Buzzard2 away 2-0 and are also unbeaten and moved to third place with goals from Josh Covus and Charley Hunter
  • The 5s lost 4-3 at home to Wallingford3,
  • The 6s lost away 4-0 to OMT4s
  • The Strollers continued their good form this season and beat Camberley Owls at home 5-1 Scorers were Brad Barker x2, Bernard Tyler, Eric Weston and Ollie Green

Marlow Ladies’ teams

The Ladies first team were the only ones in action this week, all the others having a half term break. They were playing Spencer 1sts  who started strongly, capitalising on Marlow errors to pressure the defence from the opening whistle.  Marlow kept their composure and kept the visitors from scoring. They settled into the game after the first five minutes and had many attacking opportunities themselves.  The game continued to be played at a high tempo and both teams looked dangerous on the attack.  Spencer were the first to score with a penalty corner after 20 minutes with Marlow Keeper Dibs Haisman unable to keep the ball out.  Marlow equalised at 30 minutes with a diving deflection from Emma Bunyard to earn her first goal of the season.  

The second half continued to be a fierce battle and Marlow keeper Dibs Haisman had to make some unbelievable saves to deny the visitors any further goals.  Two injuries led to tired legs for the home side which resulted in two goals in the last five minutes for Spencer, one of which was an absolute rocket at a penalty corner, which saw the visitors take all three points.  Special mentions should go to Emily G who played really well on her first team debut and Gemma Newberry who despite getting a stick to the face got patched up and carried on playing.


Marlow F.C

Marlow FC logo

The Blues progress to the first round of the Buildbase FA Trophy after a hard fought victory over a strong Berkhamsted side.

The visitors started strongly and created a few good chances before Marlow got themselves into gear and began to dominate play. The home side produced a number of good opportunities but Comas-Leon in the Berkhamsted goal was equal to them making several excellent saves to keep the visitors level going into the break.

There was a sense that Marlow’s failure to take the lead could cost them and these fears were confirmed when Chapple put the ball in his own net just 2 minutes into the half. Things looked bleak for the Blues when Ovenden harshly saw red just 3 minutes later.

However, this seemed to inspire Marlow who deservedly drew level from an excellent Jordan Brown free kick before Louis Rogers put the Blues ahead with just a minute of normal time remaining.

Marlow United

Marlow United logo

Marlow’s new squad came of age with an emphatic win over local rivals Cookham Dean.

The Alfred Davis grounds ability to absorb water however much it rains, and rain it certainly did on the morning of this game, ensured that the match went ahead on pretty much a perfect surface.
It was the visitors who took full advantage of that along with the strong wind at their backs as they powered into an early two goal lead.

With regular custodian Luke Gibbs recovering from injury assistant manager Jez Snapes donned the gloves, belying his 42 years, with Jo Mantle slotting in at centre back alongside Ryan Britnell as United looked to secure a first win of the season.

They opened their account on 5 minutes with a Conner Bignell free kick from the left of the Cookham area picking out Ryan North at the far post, the busy United midfielder heading home from close range.
Cookham responded with a corner almost resulting in an equaliser, United clearing under pressure.
Marlow hit back with an almost identical goal to the first, Arran Foster crossing to the far post with Neil Austin leaving the ball for James Przybylak to head into the goal to double the lead.

Cookham were on the back foot, shaken by the turn of events and Austin tried an audacious 40 yard lob that sailed wide.

Mark Slatter broke down the United right but his cross was plucked out of the air by Ridley in the Cookham goal before United’s Ryan Britnell saved the visitors with a last ditch tackle with Nico Webb clearing the loose ball for a corner.

Slatters saw his 25 yard effort narrowly missing the target on 25 minutes as Marlow continued to look the more dangerous team, Austin sliding in as he attempted to turn a Bignall free kick into the goal shortly after.

Nico Webb was the recipient off a nasty late tackle on the half hour ,for the second week running, the injury resulting in him being replaced by the returning Jake Braim and Cookhams Lishman receiving a yellow card.

North saw his 25 yard effort sail wide, Braim then firing in a long range effort straight at Ridley.
Snapes was called into serious action on 35 minutes, parrying a shot with Cookhams Hodge firing the loose ball wide.

Marlow continued to look the more composed team, Mantle looking a different player in defence alongside Britnell, the midfield with Chris Lynch, Conner Bignall and Ryan North winning their battles .
It was Lynch who pretty well settled the destination of the points with the half entering added on time, turning on the edge of the area to fire home the third goal , this after Mantle had picked out Foster who in turn picked out Lynch.

HT 3-0

United faced the elements as the half opened and Cookham showed their determination to rest control of the proceeding as they pressed the visitors back into their own half.
They won a series of corners, the first one resulting in a shot being deflected that looked goal bound.
The hosts continued to press as Marlow struggled to break out of their half but to often their shooting was wayward or the final ball overhit.

The United defence dealt with most of the corners and dead ball situations and in Snapes Cookham found a man who defied his years, pulling of a number of excellent saves to deny the home team.
At the other end chances were scarce with Austin seeing an effort blocked firing the rebound wide in a rare attack, Cookham hitting the cross bar soon after as they desperately pressed for an opening goal.
Time though was running out for the hosts and United rang the changes, Andrew Nicol and James Nwoseh replacing Slatters and Przybylak , Smithers and Rawlings replacing Austin and Bignell as United saw out the final few minutes.

All in all a satisfying afternoon for Marlow who displayed some excellent football in the first half but showed the ability to stand toe to toe with their opponents and and withstand the pressure, preserve their lead and deservedly took the points.

FT 3-0

Article author: MyMarlow Admin

Previous article

Marlow Bottom Scarecrow Festival- a great success!

Marlow Santas Fun Run – DATE CHANGE

Next article