Here’s MyMarlow’s summary of this year’s Marlow Town Regatta and Festival.
Us who go every year might take this for granted – but there is a lot going on over the two days, so it’s worth explaining for any first time visitors and new residents. If you’ve not been before, we can highly recommend attending either or both days!
Saturday 10th June “Marlow Town Regatta”
There are 2 enclosures, both of which have access to the river. It is possible to book picnic pitches, where you can pop up a gazebo if you wish, and host your own garden party, relax and enjoy the opportunity to socialise, eat drink & enjoy the rowing. At time of writing just a handful of the 150 spots remain. Drinks can be purchased at the Round Table Bar, and there is a food court. Reasonable quantities of alcohol, for personal consumption, can be taken inside the enclosures until 1 pm. Thereafter no alcohol can be taken in.
The rowing comprises a junior programme and a masters category programme, including teams from clubs, schools & universities from around the country
Now to explain the difference between the enclosures, with reference to the map a bit further down:
(1) The Jim Campbell Enclosure has a much larger river frontage, and a dress code (important that you follow it to ensure access!) – so is ideal for that “Traditional summer rowing regatta” atmosphere, and it is lovely! Note the badge for access to this enclosure costs a bit more, but also gives you access to the Upper Enclosure mentioned below.
(2) The Upper Enclosure is where you will find the afternoon music, food court, along with a river frontage view of the racing from just beyond the grandstand. It doesn’t have the same dress code as the Jim Campbell enclosure, but visitors are encouraged to look smart during the day. There will be free entertainment within the enclosure. Marlow FM 97.5 will be broadcasting the event live all weekend and presenting live music provided by local artists. Details of the music etc can be found here . New for this year, there will also be a Vintage Car and Motor Bike Display!
After the rowing has finished at 6pm, the day evolves into the evening music event. “Raiders of the The Lost Archives” (details here)- and evening of disco and club music with 3 brilliant local DJs, should be a brilliant end to the day! Day tickets include access, but you can also buy tickets just for the evening.
This is a map of the SATURDAY layout to get an idea of the two enclosures. The numbered boxes are book-able picnic spots where you can erect a gazebo if you wish. At time of writing there are literally just a handful left!
Sunday 11th June “Festival” day
This takes place in the same part of the park, but all enclosure fences are removed -this is a free to attend event, go where you like and no dress code. We will run a separate article on this nearer the time, but in short it’s a “Family Fun Day”, with things like
- Dragon boat racing to enjoy watching
- A carnival arena with all manner of fun displays
- Various food and drink outlets
- Various stalls and exhibitors
- Dog show, baking competition etc
It’s always a lovely day with a great community atmosphere.
Traylens Fun fair is always in Higginson Park for the same weekend as the Town Regatta. They take up the other end of the park, by the main entrance, but you can’t really miss them!!
Main website : https://marlowtownregatta.org/
The official website has a handy Frequently Asked Questions which expands on some of the above – find the FAQ here
Book a picnic pitch area (where you are allowed to put up a gazebo)