I recently popped into Marlow Information Centre (in Institute Road, 01628 483597), which I do from time to time to skim through the tourism leaflets. On this occasion I took the opportunity to have a chat with the Information Supervisor, Hannah Cassell, and her team.
I’ve always just referred to the place as the “Marlow Tourism Office”, but was surprised to learn the extent of other services and information available – hence the correct name “Marlow Information Centre ” seems entirely appropriate.
On the tourism front, it seems there has been a definite increase in visitor numbers during 2010 – and it could be partly down to the “Midsomer effect”, since the TV show Midsomer Murder is filmed all around Buckinghamshire, and Marlow has specifically featured on occasion. The show is phenomenally popular overseas it seems, and tourists from home and abroad follow the trail of locations – a book of which is on sale in the Information Centre.
For completeness, here’s the full list of services offered by the Centre:
- Sale of postcards, maps, walking and cycling guides etc
- accommodation booking – local and national
- box office for many local events
- agent for National Express coaches, Motts holidays and London Sightseeing coach.
- Youth Hostel Association agent
Other WDC services and information
- car park permits and payment of fines
- concessionary travel schemes
- council tax payments and enquiries
- housing rent enquiries and payments
- view planning applications
- view the electoral roll
- advise on WDC waste collection services
- Council Tax and Housing Benefit advice
Tel: 01628 483597
Opening hours are
- Mon – Wed: 09;00 – 17:00
- Thu: 10:00 – 17:00
- Fri: 09:00 – 13:00
- Sat: 09:00 – 13:00
- Sunday Closed
- Bank Holidays 11:00 -15:00
The local council website relevant for tourism is: www.visitbuckinghamshire.org