On Saturday 27th September, the Marlow FM Hidden Gems Awards highlighted the good, positive and often lesser known achievers in our town. The awards, now in their third year, were presented at the Crown Plaza hotel. A packed audience saw 15 awards presented to individuals, companies, schools and organisations, all of which were nominated by the public.
At MyMarlow, we are just as happy to shine a light on people and organisations who help make this town what it is – so here are the winners:
(with a selection of photos, credit: Chris Harper)
Community Event of the Year
- Marlow Town Regatta – for atmosphere, involvement of so many local people, and celebrating the best of the town!
Amateur Arts Award (Sponsored By The Marlow Players)
- Jam Theatre –Fully deserving winners for their absolute devotion to encouraging and developing talent in children , and producing spectacular performances where every child is made to feel a star.
- Robin Williams MBE – Coach of London 2012 Gold Medal winning rowing pair Heather Stanning and Helen Glover
- Graham Weeks – recently retired, but massively respected and loved teacher at Danesfield.
Best Cup Of Tea
- Burgers Artisan Bakery – well, they do make a fine cup of tea!
Services To Charity
- Tony Shepherd – has raised thousands from his amazing Christmas Tree lights display at his home in Marlow Bottom. (At MyMarlow we are massive fans of those lights, as you might well know!)
Sports Team Of The Year
- Marlow Hockey Club – Ladies 5s, successful result of the Hockey Club’s “Back to Hockey” program!
Young Persons’ Club Of The Year
- Lighthouse – an extraordinary summer project, popular with children (and their parents!) all across Marlow
- Philip Evans – For superhuman efforts in organising the disaster recovery during the flooding at Marlow FM!
Best Customer Service (Sponsored By Marlow Chamber Of Commerce)
- Beehive Treats – always friendly, and willing to go the extra mile to help (another MyMarlow fave too!)
Services To Community (Sponsored By Marlow Town Council)
- Marlow Opportunity Playgroup – providing invaluable pre-school nursery education to precious children with special
Best Pub Or Restaurant (Sponsored By Chives Catering)
- Baroosh – A great place, good cocktails, decent food, a lovely garden, friendly staff.. and make an effort to be part of the community.
Teacher Of The Year (Sponsored By The Lunchbox Doctor)
- Caroline Lock, Holy Trinity CE (A) School – with an infectious sense of humour and a true passion for teaching children
- Sam Amend – inspiring others to participate and giving her time selflessly to organise community events like the Marlow FM
Eco Award (Sponsored By Deriaz Slater LLP)
- Marlow CE Infant School – has a long history of being involved in matters ‘Green’ , and environmental matters are embedded throughout school activities and the curriculum.