Marlow residents will be very familiar with Naomi Riches – London 2012 Paralympic Gold Medalist, and as a Marlow resident – the reason we have our Gold postbox!
This weekend, Naomi will start her attempt to set a new Guinness World Record as the fastest woman to row down the River Thames in a single scull. She will be passing through Marlow of course – more on that later.
Naomi will be raising money for IN-vision, the charity she became Patron of in 2014, raising awareness of the eye-condition they support and celebrating ability. (Donate here!!)
The challenge is frankly ridiculous:
- Naomi will set off from Lechlade at 4pm on Saturday 17th Sep
- Then it’s just a 165 miles row to Gravesend Royal Pier, where she hopes to arrive around midday on Monday 19th.
- So that’s nearly 2 days of effort then!
How can we support Naomi in Marlow on Sunday 18th?
The table shown here include planned arrival times locally on Sunday 18th Sep – these are obviously estimates. However, Naomi has a longer stop planned at Marlow Rowing Club – and will be leaving at 4.30pm. So cheering her on from the bridge at that time would be a plan, and/or being at Marlow Lock around 16:39!
More background reading?
Over recent months we have been keeping track of Naomi’s preparation in a series of exclusive blogs written by Naomi herself. You can access those here: www.mymarlow.co.uk/blog/tag/tgtr2016/
There are some great resources on the superb official website including
- The ability to track Naomi’s progress and location LIVE.
- A film with the background on the challenge
Other useful links: