Marlow Sports Roundup 19-2-2020

| |

Welcome to this week’s MyMarlow Sports Roundup! Even with the conditions that Storm Dennis brought, it was not enough to stop all sport in Marlow from taking place. The only exceptions being Marlow FC and Marlow United, who had their games called off due to waterlogged pitches.

If you are interested in watching any of the teams we mention then get down to: Pound Lane for Marlow Hockey, Riverwoods for Marlow Rugby and Oak tree road for Marlow F.C.

  • The Marlow Hockey’s Men’s 1st team are at home on Saturday 22nd February at Pound Lane against Aylesbury at 1.30. All welcome to watch.
  • Marlow FC’s next home fixture is on Saturday 22nd February at the Alfred Davis Memorial Ground on Oak Tree Road against South Park FC.

If you have any sports stories you want to share, match results, feel your club should be included or know of someone who deserves a mention in the roundup next week, email me:


Marlow Men’s teams

The 1st team had a well deserved win at Eastcote by 5 goals to 1.  Sam North (pictured left) scored the first goal and then David Hand scored with a spectacular volley. Chris Sewell added two more goals and to wind things up Pat Staal’s one touch deflection was the culmination of some sublime team build up play.

(Photo by Helen Ritchie)

Some excellent play from debutant Leo Pennant and really composed games from seniors Chris Sewell and Sam North helped the team achieve a notable result in a good team performance. 

Marlow 2nd XI hosted local rivals Wycombe 2. In awful playing conditions, the visitors stormed into a 2-0 lead. Marlow’s makeshift back four were unsettled and coach Willars quickly moved to shore things up. Marlow then played their way back into the game with a brace from Dan Bradley. On the stroke of half time a quick turnover just inside Wycombe’s half saw Chris Jackson play in James Ashburner, who tucked the ball away with a neat finish on his reverse. Wycombe fought back in the second half but it took a defensive error to gift them the equaliser. Marlow stuck to their guns and Dan Bradley and Dan Field did their best to put pressure on the opposition defence. With five minutes to play the ball came to James Ashburner who deflected the ball into the roof of the net to seal all three points. 

Other Men’s results: –

  • Men’s 3s drew 3-3 away to Wallingford 2
  • Men’s 4s lost 2-1 to Bicester 2 at home
  • Men’s 5s drew 1-1 with Oxford Hawks 6 away
  • Men’s 6s lost 5-0 at home to Amersham & Chalfont 5
  • The Strollers (veterans) beat Thames Valley at Chertsey 4-2

Marlow Ladies’ teams

Marlow Ladies 1st team welcomed East Grinstead 2s to Pound lane on a wet and windy day.  East Grinstead started strongly scoring two goals in the first 10 minutes.  Marlow started to play better and went into half time 2-0 down.

The second half saw Marlow fight back with Kerri Smith opening the scoring for the home side. Jane Smith scored another for the reds to equalise. The final ten minutes were very exciting and Marlow managed to find the winner with Jess Rees scoring her first goal of the season. A determined fight back for Marlow earned them three points.

Other Ladies’ results: –

  • 2nd team lost 3-1 away to Oxford Hawks 3s
  • 3rd team won 2-1 away against Reading Rockets 
  • 5th team drew 1-1 at home with Bicester 2s


Marlow Men’s 1st XV

Whilst enduring the best that storm Dennis could throw at them, Marlow were determined to put in a big performance after a disappointing loss to Aylesbury earlier in the season.

(Photo by Ian Branch)

Marlow won the toss and started strongly with the wind, working their way up the pitch and gaining good field position through impressive phase play despite the conditions. This pressure ultimately lead to a penalty and although missed, the home team’s intentions were clear from the start. Marlow were dominating upfront and another penalty, this time kicked to the corner, gave the forwards a big opportunity to capitalise. A strong maul off the resulting lineout brought Marlow metres from the opposition line, and it was captain Hugo Jafari who showed great strength to power over the line and register the first points of the game.

Following more pressure from Marlow deep in Aylesbury territory, another kickable penalty was awarded and was this time slotted by scrum half Freddie Lewis giving the hosts an 8-0 lead. A yellow card to Alex Spicer and injury to Freddie Lewis called for a reshuffling of Rory Greenslade-Jones’ men, with Chris Clarke stepping in at 9. Aylesbury were putting up a good fight and would be the next to strike, with their pick and go game eventually leading to a try just before halftime which was converted, narrowing the deficit to 8-7.

Now against the wind and momentum seemingly with Aylesbury, this was always going to be tough 40 minutes for Marlow. The hosts struggled to exit from their own red zone but were putting in an impressive defensive shift. An infringement at the breakdown gave Aylesbury a chance to go ahead with a penalty kick, which was slotted taking the score to 8-10. Back up to 15 men not wanting a repeat of the last encounter, Marlow were re-energised. They controlled possession well and were now playing in the right areas of the field and, following a break from Hugo Jafari, marched into the Aylesbury 22. A try looked inevitable, but Marlow were held up over the line a number of times. The scrum continued to be dominated by Marlow, but after multiple resets, a knock on at the base allowed the visitors to clear their lines, and it looked like the opportunity had gone with minutes remaining. But once again, Marlow showed excellent control and patience with their direct phase play. Big carries from the likes of Alex Spicer and man of the match Ben Smith pounded away at the Aylesbury line, who would eventually give away another penalty. Christian Witney stepped up and calmly struck the penalty kick in very difficult conditions to regain the lead for Marlow – 11-10.
With minutes remaining, Marlow just had to close the game out. They did just that, and the ball is kicked out giving Marlow a fantastic win and taking them to 4th in the league.

Man of Match – Ben “Bear” Smith, who was majestic in the line out and led from the front in the loose.

Other Marlow Rugby results:

  • Witney 3rd XV 7 – 18 Marlow 2nd XV
  • Wallingford 2nd XV 32 – 0 Marlow 3rd XV

Article author: MyMarlow Admin

Previous article

Marlow Flood Alert – UPDATE

An all new Business Festival (and Fringe) for Marlow

Next article