The Coronavirus has certainly kicked most sporting fixtures well and truly into touch.
- A new statement from the Board of the Isthmian League (Marlow FC‘s leauge) says that “all matches will be suspended until 3rd April“.
- As well as this, Marlow Junior Hockey has ceased all activity until 14th April in line with England Hockey. Leaving a question mark over the Men’s and Ladies’ last few games of their seasons.
- Furthermore, Marlow Rugby has also released a statement, ” In line with the RFU’s decision to suspend all rugby in England until 14th April 2020, Marlow RUFC is also suspending all rugby until this date.”
However, we do still have last weekend’s Marlow Hockey results to report on.
Marlow Men’s teams
Both men’s top teams played opponents from Oxford Hawks. The 1st team had given away a goal at the end last week but against Oxford Hawks 2s earned a hard fought win 4-3 in the away fixture.
Photo by Helen Ritchie (www.helenritchiephotography.co.uk)
The home team scored first but Marlow levelled through Sam North and it was 1 all at half time. The Hawks made it 2-1 but then Marlow, playing with considerable freedom, scored three times in quick succession through Chris Sewell from a narrow angle after a mazy dribble, Tom Gray and another for Sam North. Sam’s two goals were both from short corners.Hawks scored another but Marlow fought hard and did not concede again due to a fantastic performance in goal by man of the match Max Chawner-Davis.The result means that third place is assured with first place to be decided between Reading 2s and Amersham and Chalfont in next weeks fixtures.
The 2nd team were at home to Oxford Hawks 3s. They made a bad start conceding an early goal having already having a number of chances going to waste , The equaliser came soon after through a wonderful reverse stick shot by James Ashburner. After that Marlow never really looked back. At half time it was 2-1 and although the third goal took a while to come, it was plain sailing thereafter. Tom Lilley had a storming game at centre back, contributing two goals while Dan Bradley, Dan Field and Oliver Cadinouche we’re all on target The result means the 2nd XI have gone undefeated at home this season, and cements their finishing place of fourth in the league with one match remaining.
Other Men’s results: –
- 3s lost 2-1 at home to Ramgaria 1s
- 4s lost 8-0 away to Witney 4s
- 5s beat Windsor 2s away 3-0
- 6s drew 2-2 away with Slough Despondents
Marlow Ladies’ teams
The Ladies 1st team travelled to Teddington to try and stop the run of losses they had had previously. The game started with both teams trying to figure each other out. There were chances for both teams but good saves from both keepers meant that the game remained goalless for the majority of the half. A quick free hit taken by Tilly Crampsie found Kerri Smith in the circle who calmly put the ball over a sliding Teddington keeper to make the game 1-0 at half time. Marlow maintained most of the possession in the second half, playing some great hockey but the Teddington keeper made save after save to keep the score at 1-0. Ellie Yeomans eventually doubled Marlow’s lead from a penalty corner to make the final score 2-0.
Other Ladies’ results: –
- The 2s drew 0-0 with their nearest rivals Oxford 2s at home
- The 3s were also goalless with Wycombe 2s
- The 4s lost away to Oxford 4s, 3-1
- the 5s beat Sonning 4s, 2-0 away
- The 6s team won at Oxford, 6-1