We had heard rumours that Gail’s Bakery wanted to open in Marlow, but were not sure where… until now!
Thanks to a planning application just submitted, we can reveal the intended location as No. 5 High Street, which used to be Halifax Bank.
What is Gail’s Bakery?
The company is a mostly London based chain, operating bakeries which incorporate a cafe.
From their website
“Our first GAIL’s bakery opened in London’s Hampstead High Street in 2005. Today, we have 74 bakeries in neighbourhoods in and around London, Oxford, Brighton and beyond.
We bake fresh, handmade bread, pastries and cakes every day, served with our carefully-sourced house blend specialty coffee. We take great pleasure in using the best ingredients we can find for food and drink, using seasonal ingredients from suppliers we trust.”
Plans for Marlow
Interestingly , the planning application makes note of a previous use of the building as a bakery, Brown & Co, back in the 1920s, and includes a photo to prove it:
The application concludes with “public benefits” of the plans as follows:
• Securing the optimum viable use of the building as a bakery/café, which was the
historic use pre-listing.
• Investment in the entire building.
• Use of every floor, including public access to the first floor.
• Creation of an accessible unit to all, with accessible WC facilities.
• Removal of detracting interior fit out from previous uses.
• Creation of an active frontage and reuse of a vacant heritage asset.
• Local employment and training opportunities.”
Watch this space
As you will expect, we will keep you updated with developments!