Landmark statue restored to former glory

| |

The Frohman Memorial statue, situated on The Causeway has been restored by Marlow Town Council – and it looks great!.

The statue – originally a fountain as the old news clipping shows was created by Leonard Merrifield, and was placed at the site in memory of Charles Frohman (1856 – 1915). Charles died in the sinking of the ocean liner Lusitania during the First World War. Charles Frohman was a world-famous theatre producer and manager, producing over 700 shows including the stage production of Peter Pan. Frohman often visited Marlow and had great affection for the town. 

The Portland stone statue depicts a nymph, symbolising the spirit of youth. Cliveden Conservation was engaged to restore the statue, undertaking significant cleaning and repairs, including the re-engraving of the inscription below the figure.

Great to see her looking at her best again!

*JUST FOR FUN*…. we note they went for a traditional restoration, rather than the one suggested in our 2018 April Fool’s joke… click below to read it

Previous

Austins sandwich shop and cafe is now CLOSED

Chixwane Collective art studio set to open its doors in Marlow

Next

Leave a Comment