Since we published our original article on Sun 15th March (see below), the following updates have occurred. We have already been contacted with others, so more to follow in due course.
Generally, many businesses have notices up referring to how they are coping – some shops are reducing hours, whilst food outlets are confirming their procedures. For example Oysters Fish and Chips in Marlow Bottom reiterate cleanliness, social distancing, minimal contact, and their aim to support those in the community who need it. (read full message here)
- More BIG events cancelled
- Marlow Regatta (read announcement)
- Marlow May Fayre – the difficult decision by the Round Table was announced yesterday.
- Pubs have started to close
- Some Restaurant and Cafe closures announced
- Barclays Bank – from Monday the 23rd March, the Marlow branch will open at 08.00-9.30 for elderly/ vulnerable customers and then 09.30-15.00 business as usual.
- Marlow Rugby club – offering up service of volunteer club member, plus their facilities for use by local support groups (read here)
- Further initiatives announced by local businesses to HELP US see this through – click images for full size article
Danesfield House Hotel – Mother’s Day Afternoon Tea TAKEAWAY! £20pp order before 1pm Sat 21st, collect on Sunday 22nd! (Read more on their website )
Sindhu Restaurant – Launched a new takeaway menu! See image for details, and full menu is here
Marlow Green – Will deliver give them a call or text anything just send a text what you need, and your address to: 07902994636
Rebellion, in addition the the “Drive Thru” already mentioned will now also deliver for free locally! Minimum spend £10, Call 01628 476594, choose home delivery option 1
- Sainsbury’s – Thu 19th March – first hour reserved for elderly and vulnerable customers (read more)
- More closures:
- British Legion – bar open, but events and entertainment postponed (read more)
- Sport, hockey and rugby clubs have now joined football in ceasing sporting activities, as we imagine have most team sports.
- Events Cancelled. We originally started listing these, but as you might expect, more or less any gathering of people is being impacted, so double check ANYTHING. Recently announced includes:
- Pub in the Park dates pushed back
- Marlow 5 due 10th May – race cancelled (read more)
- Park Run – all park runs in UK now suspended
- The Great British Spring Clean
- Rebellion – public and members nights cancelled until further notice. But…. there is a Drive through service to pick up beer, see below
- Marlow Bookshop – cancelling all upcoming events, including storytime and bookclub
- Further initiatives announced by local businesses – click images for details
Cedar Cafe, call them up, place an order and give a time to collect. Pay and Go! [UPDATE NOW SADLY CLOSED]
Rebellion Beer – innovative “Drive Thru” order and pick up service
The Three Horseshoes – takeaway service launched
(see later in article for others already announced)
Purpose of this article (first published 15th March 2020)
This article is not intended to replace national news on the Coronavirus outbreak, but is focused on the very local impact here in Marlow, and we will update as things develop. We will include how businesses are responding (home deliveries etc), how we can perhaps help them – and how we can help each other, in particular members of our community who are self-isolating or vulnerable. Please CONTACT US if you think there is anything we should add that could be of use to the local community.
We have covered
- Important NHS & Government Advice
- Impact on and reaction from local businesses
- Marlow Medical Centre
- Panic buying
- Helping neighbours in self-isolation
- Cancelled Events
- Sports cancelled
Important NHS & Government Advice
The source for the absolute latest official advice, which is rapidly evolving, should be the NHS Covid-19 page.
However , at time of writing (Wed 18-3-20) the key points are:
- Stay at home for 7 days if you have either a high temperature OR a new, continuous cough. If you live with other people, they should stay at home for 14 days from the day the first person got symptoms
- Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.
- You do not need to contact 111 to tell them you’re staying at home. Testing for coronavirus is not needed if you’re staying at home.
- Use the NHS 111 coronavirus online service if you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home, your condition gets worse, or your symptoms do not get better after 7 days
- Only call 111 if you cannot get help online.
Impact on and reaction from local businesses
We are keen to help support local businesses during this difficult time! We went for lunch in a popular local cafe today, and it was worryingly empty. It must be extremely worrying and difficult for smaller independent businesses of all sorts, so please do try to #shoplocal and support them.
We have received emails from many local establishments, who are reinforcing the particular attention to hygiene, cleaning and so on which is all comforting to hear.
Some businesses are taking active steps, as per the examples below. We will happily add to this list, if any businesses wish to contact us.
Special offers and procedures include….
Marlow bookshop will deliver books
Beccafico to launch take-away menu, then delivery
Strawberry Grove – extra measures in place, delivery service coming!
Fego offering 20% discounts on take-away
Marlow Medical Centre
Panic buying has been widely reported, and you can see the impact yourself – our photo shows the toilet roll aisle in the big Sainsbury’s today.
We have noticed that smaller local shops seem to be less affected (at least when we have been), eg Marlow Green, Healthy Stuff in Liston Court and others. We’ve seen toilet paper in smaller shops here and elsewhere…
Also, simply just DO NOT PANIC BUY! The country will not run out! This is reinforced in a message from Sainsbury’s Chief Executive Mike Coupe:
“There are gaps on shelves because of increased demand, but we have new stock arriving regularly and we’re doing our best to keep shelves stocked. Our store colleagues are working tirelessly and doing the best job they can. Which brings me onto a request. Please think before you buy and only buy what you and your family need. If we all do this then we can make sure we have enough for everyone. And please help elderly and vulnerable friends, family and neighbours with their shopping if you can.”
Helping neighbours in self-isolation
You may have seen this image shared on social media and in the news. A perfect way to let your neighbours, or wider community know you are there to help. We have created two A4 PDF sheets to make it easier to print these out at home:
You will know we maintain a comprehensive Events Calendar on our website. Unsurprisingly we are receiving notice of various cancellations and postponements. Tho help spread the word of the cancellations, we are keeping them in our calendar, but adding “CANCELLED” to the title, and having the following prominent message at the top.
Events we have previously promoted, but have now been advised are cancelled include the following. However, you should probably assume that ANYTHING involving gathering people together has been affected, we are gettign more notifications than it is possible to keep up with!
- Sun Mar 15th – “Death and the Maiden” concert – https://www.mymarlow.co.uk/event/death-and-the-maiden-concert-by-the-brompton-quartet/
- Tue Mar 17th Jazz Club Gig https://www.mymarlow.co.uk/event/julia-titus-ma-bessie-is-returning-to-marlow/
- Thu Mar 26th – Archaeology in Marlow talk: https://www.mymarlow.co.uk/event/aim-talk-the-megalithic-sites-of-britain-and-ireland/
Matches have been suspended for both Marlow FC and Marlow United, and in addition the Rugby and Hockey clubs have ceased training at playing activities – as we imagine is the case for most other team sports
We want this page to be a useful resource for the community, and plan to update it regularly. Please CONTACT US if you think there is anything we should add, or if you are able to offer some service or support to others that we can publicise etc etc.